Wednesday, April 9, 2014

this dark curly Papuan girl...




I was born & grew up in Jakarta. Being the only Papuan girl at school was a tough one. I was probably the only dark skin female with a curly hair they ever seen in their entire life. 

Commercials & society have taught Indonesian one standard: white-skin girl with a straight hair is beautiful. Period. So I spent lots of money rebonding my hair & buying ridiculous lotions to make my skin whiter, I was trying too hard to meet their standard. Until a person came to my life told me this: 

"Each woman is beautiful in their own way. Having a dark skin is exotique & curly hair is unique... You are beautiful in your own way... This is your life, take control of it. Happiness isn't come because of a certain standard". 

From that moment, I stop living other people's dream, I throw away my old low self-esteem and let myself grow just the way I am. I'm no longer putting too much energy thinking what other's assumption about how do I look like... 

This is my 7 years living with Heng. I thank him for opening my eyes & showing what true beauty means. He told me I'm beautiful everyday with / without make-up, with / without my hair styling gel. The only regret is why it took me so long to understand that... But hey, better late than never rite? Don't waste your time too long like me... You don't need anyone to convince you... 

Bear in mind that: you are beautiful in your own way... Never let society fools you. You are beautiful and you are worthy... Happiness starts when you take control. Confidence is the key...